Worship Write Witness
Everyone's A Reader
Literacy is still a problem in the U.S. Thousands of adults, middle schoolers, and high schoolers can’t read or can’t read well. These struggling readers want stories at a level they can comprehend to help them develop into better, stronger readers. They also want stories that are geared for their interests. They don’t want to read Magic Tree House and Captain Underpants just so they can have something to read. If a book interests them, they will work harder to read it.
Everyone’s a Reader Novella Contest is sponsored by Worship Write Witness, a local chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers.
Write a 15-25,000 word YA fiction novella or a 25-35,000 word adult fiction novella. These are Hi/Lo books. (High interest, low reading level.) YA needs to be written at a 2-3 grade level; Adult needs to be at a 3-4 grade level. Then enter the first fifteen pages of your fiction novella for a chance at a contract, prayer shawl, and more.
This contest is open to both published and unpublished authors.
GRAND PRIZE: The winning novella will be submitted to Harpstring with the possibility of a contract if accepted by their review board, and the author will receive other goodies including a prayer shawl. [To learn about Harpstring go to http://www.writtenworldcommunications.com]
SECOND PRIZE: A Prayer Scarf & $10 Starbucks gift card
THIRD PRIZE: $5 Starbucks gift card
- Worship Write Witness represents a Christian organization. While it is not required that your story have a spiritual theme, submissions containing sexually explicit scenes or descriptions, swearing, foul/suggestive language, or graphic violence will be ruled ineligible.
- Entry fee: $10 for ACFW members, $15 for non-ACFW members. If you wish to have your fifteen pages critiqued, add an additional $15 to your entry fee.
- You may enter as many times as you wish; however, for each submission you must also fill out an entry form and submit an additional entry fee.
- Only online entries submitted to Worship Write Witness will be accepted.
- Contest is open to everyone eighteen-years and older.
- Contest will open for submissions August 5, 2013.
- All entries must be received by midnight, Sunday, October 6, 2013, Mountain Time.
- Top three finalists will be announced on Saturday, November 23, 2013 on the ACFW Colorado Web site, ACFW Colorado Facebook Page, and Worship Write Witness Facebook Page. The finalists will be notified by e-mail and will have until November 30, 2013 to send in their completed novella manuscript.
- The Grand Prize Winner will be announced at the Peak Writing Conference, February 1, 2014. You need not be present to win. If winner is not present at conference, the winner will be notified by e-mail on Saturday, February 1, 2014.
- By entering you allow us to post your name on Worship Write Witness and ACFW Colorado websites, The Inkwell blog, and HIS Writers and ACFW Colorado social network sites (such as Facebook and Twitter).
- The grand prize winner will have until midnight on Sunday, March 31, 2014 to send in their completed, edited novella in an approved format to Harpstring for final approval where it will be determined if it is acceptable for publication or not.
- Any entry that is ruled ineligible or withdrawn from the contest will not have their entry fee returned.
- Submit only the first 15 double-spaced pages of your unpublished completed fiction novella, plus a two-page, single-spaced synopsis that includes the title, a one-sentence plot summary, story theme, a teaser paragraph, full synopsis, and one-paragraph author bio. Completed manuscript: YA 15-25,000, Adult 25-35,000. Put both the two-page synopsis and fifteen pages in a single document for a total of seventeen pages. Click here for a sample two-page synopsis.
- .doc format. (NO PDFs. NO .docx)
- 1” margins all the way around.
- 0.5” paragraph indentations. NO TABS. (See FAQ)
- Do not TAB at the end of a paragraph; use enter.
- Do not have an extra space between paragraphs. (See FAQ)
- Size 12 Times New Roman font in black.
- The header needs to include your name, title, genre, word count, and Flesch-Kincaid Grade Scale (See FAQ) in the upper left corner. Page number in the upper right corner. (Header is the only place you may use TABS)
- No “fancy” formatting, No bold, No all caps, No highlighting, No tables, No illustration or pictures.
- Reading level for YA needs to be 2-3 grade level, Adult 3-4 grade level. Use the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Scale on entire manuscript to determine readability level. Flesch-Kincaid Grade Scale is part of Microsoft Word. (See FAQ)
- Submissions not meeting these requirements will be deemed ineligible. The entry fee will not be returned.
- Novellas must fall under the theme of “Stories that resonate with your heart” and may be in any of the following genres:
Romance: historical, contemporary, mystery, suspense, etc.
Click here for a list of frequently asked questions
Who we are, when we meet, how to
join, membership benefits
Calendar and Events
ACFW Colorado Springs calendar and events
In celebration of ACFW Colorado Springs member accomplishments.
Membership and Dues
ACFW and ACFW Colorado Springs membership information and dues renewal
Special offers and programs
exclusively for ACFW Colorado Springs members
ACFW in Colorado
Colorado chapter and event information
A showcase of recent and upcoming fiction books and short stories by ACFW Colorado authors
Colorado's blog network offering up-to-date news on Colorado chapters, author spotlights, and articles on craft, technology, and more!
Join American Christian Fiction Writers
Membership has its benefits! Find out what they are.
Overview of the ACFW organization
Looking for Christian Fiction? Look no further than Fiction Finder.
Click here to post our banner and
link on your website or blog.
Connect With Us!